Definition of an ideal manager itself states that a manager is the one who can develop better managers than himself. A manager essentially needs to have the qualities of management, leadership and learning attitude. Every action of a manager seeks to command respect and a desire in others to follow him and at some point of time take a similar action or be like him.
There are a basic set of managerial skills defined, which to be effective in this role one needs to have in himself. Here is the list of skills thus defined for a successful manager:
- Must be capable of making and establishing effective and responsive interpersonal relationships . And on on account of same, he would command respect from his sub-ordinates, colleagues and superiors.
- Effective & Complete Communication is very important wherein your meaning as well as intentions are both delivered to your listener/target whether communicating orally or in writing. Feedback therein is as important and so you must be listen to others and be interactive.
- Team building is a part of your KRA and so, smoothing and lubricating team work and co-ordinating with the team members also is your responsibility. As their leader you are required to keep your team motivated and do their skill enhancement and help them get better.
- Knowing and understanding the financial sections and clauses of the business and set your and your team’s goals and then evaluate them and document your subordinates assessment details.
- Building a healthy and progressive work environment and culture, fueling positive attitude, boosting morale and giving recognition to employees to keep them motivated and give their 100%.
- Grooming of subordinates is one more essential quality to be talked about. As being the head of the team and as a mentor its manager’s responsibility to help his juniors learn from their work, develop their skills and capabilities and get better and skilled.
- Understanding the management goals and company’s vision and mission, set targets and delegate work to his team and support and help them achieve the same.