Negotiating salary is the most important part of keeping you happy in your job or helps you get a better job. It is more an art than science. Usually this is quite underrated part of job search. Generally people think that once they will get the job they will certainly get the salary they deserve. Well, this is the biggest mistake usually people do. It doesn’t actually work this way.
It is good not to accept a job that is lower than your position or is going to pay you less than what you want or deserve. Here are some tips that will help you negotiate your salary in a better and fruitful way.
· Be prepared – Prepare well and gather as much information as possible about your employer beforehand so that you ensure to get the best deal.
- Be acquainted with the different types of negotiations – Remember, negotiations are different and so you have to be very careful doing this. Do not forget that you will have to interact with that person everyday and may be your career success also depends on his recommendations.
- Understand your needs and those of your employer – First examine your own priorities and then proceed. Consider job security, your worthiness for the salary hike or bonus and analyze exactly what you want. Also understand what type of company you are associated with and scrutinize whether they will pay you more or not.
- Never lie – Honesty is very important here. Remember, sooner or later if you are caught lying, it will affect your future credibility in job.
- Be creative – You may not get exactly what you want but it is good to focus on the value of the total package.
- Focus on your goals – Do not give stress to winning in this entire negotiation process. Just see the goals that you have achieved.
Do not forget that employment is an ongoing relationship and so you should not harm this.