Social media networking sites have become an integral part of everyone’s life today. The addiction is so strong that one can leave without his/her spouse for may be 1 month or so, but not 5 days without logging to facebook or twitter account. These sites are growing acceptance as a market and advertising platform, whereby apart from connecting to your friends and relatives, you get shopping, news & awareness, etc. updates as well. Lured with this vast applicability, now the site is being pitched for recruitment purposes.
This platform not only allows recruiters to target eligible candidates for their vacancies, but the job-seekers on the other hand, can get updates for relevant openings and even build them self a strong link/network. People you cant approach and reach otherwise are easily accessible and available here to connect and communicate, what else you need.
Following are some tips, how you can best utilize Social Media for your Job-hunting :
- Make yourself visible: Let people know that you are looking for a job and what all are your requirements and qualifications.
- Utilize the advantages of these sites: Various sites offers you different applicability. Facebook and twitter on one hand helps you let your friend know and inform you about the relevant openings, come to know about. Linked-In on the other hand offers you the platform to get yourself a professional network and an active resume.
- Network frequently and be strategic: Privacy is very important in your account as everything is not for your employers(future) to know about. Join industry chat and relevant groups where you get to know about industry/market updates and can also get expert’s advice(s).
- Build yourself strong network: Network to relevant people and seek information/ update about Hiring Managers. Create the connections you need to get the job
- Hyperlink your resume: Adding the URL for your Twitter and Linked-In(not Facebook) profile to your contact information on your resume is one of the smart and recommended moves as it provides a platform to reach and know you and also reflects your activeness.
- Employing Google search for yourself: A detailed profile on Linked-In and using the network actively and strategically will take your profile high in Google search results and will also let you control what you employers will see and know about you.
The three social media networks thus tooling your job-hunting are: Facebook, Twitter and Linked-In. All you need to know is which way to use your what tool and you’ll get the best results meeting your expectations and aspirations.