Job satisfaction is perhaps the most important aspect in professional field in order to excel. As far as the recent survey held all over the world, number of job dissatisfaction has spread rapidly among people coming from all age and income brackets. The statistics were quite striking as most people are not satisfied with their jobs and the numbers are steadily rising.
With the rise in worker dissatisfaction, the main focus would be to avoid this situation. Moreover, there are lots of people who are working dissatisfied, but then what can we do about it?
First and foremost thing that one should be aware of is that there are various kinds of job satisfaction. But, most of the surveys that we come across investigate about overall satisfaction. This only happens when any person take into account everything related to a job. Overall job satisfaction is nothing but an amalgamation of both intrinsic and extrinsic satisfaction.
Intrinsic satisfaction is related to the job that a worker do and the entire task related to the job preformed. On the other hand, extrinsic satisfaction is related to the work conditions which revolve around supervisor, pay and coworkers. Both of these satisfactions are quite different and both are important and unique as they deal with different aspects. For instance, if you are dissatisfied with your work, you might question yourself “is it because of the kind of work I am performing?” or “is it because of the work condition that I am in?” If the reason relates to the first one then it is a classic case of intrinsic job dissatisfaction. This type of dissatisfaction has different solution than the one which is extrinsic in nature.
You are also aware of the fact that satisfaction related to job is also influenced largely by job expectations. People look for certain things from a job, such as job pay, security, independence, prestige and other things. There are also people who have higher expectations from their jobs than others. So, what are the expectations you have from your job and how strong are those expectations?
What are the things one can do to maximize job satisfaction? You can use some of the methods that are based on research and experience.
- You should know what is important to you and what is not. What are the tasks that attract you? It is important to write down things that you expect from the job.
- It is important for you to know more about the jobs that will meet your job expectations. This will help you to determine the job that will fit your personality.
- You can also consult a career counselor who will help you in achieving what you desire.
- Do find solutions for your job dissatisfactions because it might lead to accidents, job loss, mental illness and more. It might also lead to anxiety, depression, worry, interpersonal problems and others.
- It is better to have realistic expectations from work.
- Look for the kind of job separately and relate it with the condition of the work you are in.